This was the more involved card that the South Burlington stamp club made this month. The picture is a little deceptive, but we used a new technique for this card. When you look at the photo, it isn’t obvious what is going on. First, we used the Stamparatus to stamp the images on a piece of Whisper White cardstock, and then diecut with one of the scallop square dies. Nothing new so far. Then we used the scallop square to cut 3 squares in Lovely Lipstick cardstock, and cut out the center with a smaller square dies in the set. We then glued them together to create a frame with some depth around the stamped image. I recommend the Multipurpose Adhesive “green glue” for this since the edges of the frame are sort of thin.

Then we turned this framed image into a hinged element for the special technique for this card. To achieve this, die cut two smaller shapes (square for this project), and add thin pieces of window sheet to create the hinge. I’ll attempt to break the process down here:

  • Cut acetate about 1/4″ x 2 3/4″ – for this project I used two pieces
  • Fold one end of the acetate pieces about 3/4″ from the end
  • Apply a piece of Tear & Tape adhesive to that 3/4″ fold
  • Adhere to the back of the top of the diecut art piece
  • Glue a smaller diecut over the back to cover the glued end of the acetate
  • Stamp a small greeting on the second diecut shape
  • Place that shape stamped-side facing the smaller diecut that you already glued down.
  • Apply Tear & Tape adhesive to the inside of the longer section of the acetate pieces
  • Fold over and adhere to the back of the greeting diecut
  • Use Tear & Tape adhesive to glue the back of the diecut to a layered base

You can use this technique to create fun greetings with a variety of die cut shapes: circles, hearts, ovals, etc. If you don’t have window sheets yet, you can use scrap packaging plastic for the hinges. The only requirement is that the plastic isn’t too thick for the hinge mechanism to work properly. I hope that you will experiment with this and try with dies that you already have.

Oh and I have to share an oopsie that you can see in the second picture. My first stamping of the cupcake didn’t line up as well as I wanted, so I flipped the paper and stamped on the back. I totally didn’t think of the fact that the edge of the back isn’t covered. Doh! So, you can see a bit of that stamping in the picture above. I was too far along in the process, so I just stuck with it. And I had to come clean to you!

I’m super happy to participate in this new challenge from the TGIF site. There are so many great options for Sale-A-Bration, and with three new offerings it is even better!

Product List