This is one of the cards that I designed for the Cards for Cancer stamp-a-stack we held on Sunday. Each of the demonstrators design and prepare 2 cards for all of the participants to create. I like to have one card that is easy to create and one that incorporates a technique or fun-fold so that more experienced stampers can learn something new, too. This year I decided to dig back through history to create a waterfall card for my fun-fold/advanced card. The participants did need to take a bit longer to make this card, but it seemed like everyone was thrilled with the waterfall magic when they finished. There were many grandmothers/moms/aunts that knew exactly would be receiving this card; and that is exactly what I was hoping for.
I decided that I would also go back a bit in time to find a color combination for this card. I thought this fun color combo was a great fit for a kids card and these cute dinosaurs. It's not too heavy with primary colors which is typical for kid cards, but it isn't too soft which doesn't work for kid cards either.
Since I decided that what is old is new again, I felt that it would be helpful to include instructions for this card so you can recreate it. Also, if the instructions aren't clear, you will definitely find some on-line videos that will be very helpful.
- Early Espresso: 5 1/2" x 4 1/4", 1" x 4 1/4", 2" x 2" (cut 4)
- Old Olive: 5 1/4" x 4", 2" x 9" scored @ 2", 2 3/4", 3 1/2" & 4 1/4"
- Whisper White: 1 3/4" x 1 3/4" (cut 4)
- Island Indigo ribbon: 4"
- Stamp the background stamp in Old Olive ink on the Old Olive panel.
- Adhere the stamped Old Olive panel to the Early Espresso card base.
- Punch a pull notch in the center of the bottom using a portion of the 1 1/4" circle punch.
- Stamp four different dinosaurs in different colors on each of the Whisper White squares.
- Adhere the stamped white squares to the Early Espresso squares.
- Stamp a greeting on the un-scored side of the Old Olive strip in Early Espresso ink.
- Put adhesive only on the ends of the Early Espresso strip and adhere ~1 1/4" up from the bottom of the Espresso/Old Olive card. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you NOT put adhesive in the middle of this strip so that the waterfall mechanism will work.
- Fold the Old Olive strip on the score lines so that the greeting is on the inside. Each fold is in the same direction – not a zig-zag.
- Adhere one of the dinosaurs so that the 2" score line is even with the top of the Early Espresso mat.
- Place adhesive just below the next score line and adhere the top of another dinosaur panel – again, lining it up so that the top of the Early Espresso mat is even with the score line.
- Repeat step 10 for the remaining two stamped panels.
- Open the Old Olive strip and slide the longer section with the greeting under the Early Espresso strip on the card base.
- Line up the Old Olive strip so that it is centered horizontally and the bottom extends into the pull notch that you punched earlier.
- Open the Old Olive panel and place Tear & Tape adhesive on the bottom of the Early Espresso strip.
- Remove the backing from the adhesive and fold down the Old Olive strip so that it lays flat over the adhesive. When you are done, the Tear & Tape adhesive will be behind the first dinosaur that you glued down.
- Pierce once on each side of the Early Espresso strip and place a Candy Dot brad base.
- Add a colored Candy Dot to the top of the Candy Dot brad base.
- Staple a ribbon to the bottom of the Old Olive strip in the pull-tab notch.