I did a quick Google search to see who is celebrating their birthday today, and I was delighted to find that today is Oprah Winfrey’s special day. So, I would love to take this opportunity to send this card virtually to her!
The background stamp that you see here is from the Occasions catalog. I was super lucky to receive this stamp in a prize patrol at the November OnStage event. This particular prize patrol was unique; the winners actually received two different stamp sets with the direction to keep one and pass the other to someone else in the audience. Isn’t that cool?!? I actually ended up receiving both of the sets in that particular drawing because two different people gave me their “spare” set. Lucky me!
This was one of the cards that we made at the January meeting for the South Burlington stamp club. I showed the ladies how to do the “faux mother of pearl” technique, which you can see better in this close-up picture. As you move the card in the light, the highlights show up and fade; it is really pretty and very simple. Here are the steps for the technique:
- Stamp on white cardstock as normal
- Put a small amount of Shimmer Paint on a tray or other flat surface; we used take-out soup container lids
- Crinkle up some Saran Wrap and pick up a little of the Shimmer Paint
- Dab the Shimmer Paint randomly around your stamped panel; leave some areas uncovered to get the desired effect
- Set the panel side a few minutes to dry completely
- With a sponge brayer, apply light colored ink over the full panel
- Use a paper towel to rub off extra ink that may be sitting on top of the Shimmer Paint
- Use your lovely art panel on your project and enjoy!