Sadly, I needed a sympathy card last week, so I decided to create this card for the South Burlington stamp club meeting to take care of two simultaneous needs. The gals agreed that we all need these cards far too often, and they enjoyed the process to create this one. They really liked the technique to add a second color to the Marbled background stamp, and it really is quite easy. I was happy to be able to ink up one of my old favorite stamp sets. The images in the foreground are from a set that is several years old – in fact, it is a double-sided wood mount set that is still in the old-style clamshell case. That is pretty darned old!
The Marbled stamp really is gorgeous when inked in a single color, but adding a second color really does make it even prettier. To do this for this card I did the following:
- Lay the Marbled stamp on your work surface so that the image is facing up
- Ink up the stamp in a lighter color ink; I used Smoky Slate for this card
- Draw lines with the brush tip of a darker marker; here I used Tranquil Tide.
- Be sure to lightly drag the marker over the top so that you don’t damage the brush tip
- Pull a sponge dauber over the marker lines to soften the edges and blend into the lighter ink
- Lay the neutral cardstock onto the stamp, and rub the back to transfer the image
To create the faux frame look on the focal image I used some retired washi tape to mask off the edges of the glossy cardstock and used a sponge to spread Smoky Slate ink on it. The color is so light that it takes several applications before you have any sense that color is getting applied. You can easily check your progress by carefully lifting the washi tape in a corner to see if the difference in color is enough for what you want. When you have enough ink applied, slowly lift the washi tape pieces by pulling away from the center to do you best to avoid tearing the paper. Once the washi tape is removed, stamp your image and continue with your project. I used the Archival Black ink here, and since that can take a little bit to dry, I used my heat tool to accelerate that process.
I wanted to go with a simple design for this card so that it didn’t overwhelm the pretty marbled image, and really focus on the message. I’m really pleased with how this card turned out, even if I do say so myself!